The Renovation in Balcatta was a great job for us because it showcased many of our skills.
The brief was:
Replace the ceilings throughout. Convert the Master Bedroom into The Lounge. Convert Lounge to Master Bedroom and then Convert Laundry to The Master Bedroom Ensuite. Sand and reseal timber floors and paint ceilings, walls, doors, doorframes & skirtings.
Our first job on any demolition day is to protect the floors, we use a product called Ram Board. It’s a very thick cushioned cardboard. and it does a great job. This process costs us a few hundred dollars but potentially saves us thousands.
You would not believe the mess that comes from pulling down ceilings, imagine 50 years of dirt, dust and old insulation. As the new ceilings were installed so was new roof insulation which will make a huge difference to temperature control in the home. Believe it or not Martin wore a full-face mask and coveralls while doing this demo.
In the new Master bedroom, we created a walk-through wardrobe into the new ensuite. Installed new sliding door floor and ceiling track and repurposed their existing sliding mirror door.
The new ensuite looked amazing, the clients wanted the Scandinavian design elements. The tiles and fittings they chose transformed an old laundry into a luxurious ensuite bathroom.
The new lounge was created by removing 2 structural walls. Because there were several doors opening into the new lounge, we sealed the bathroom door and cut in a new door from the kitchen. We then created a laundry space inside the bathroom in the space that was the original doorway..
In the new lounge we removed the glass windows above the internal doors and blanked off both sides. Opened the entrance to the new kitchen by removing the doorway and nibs creating an open plan feel.
With all the ceilings down, it was an opportune time to add and update the electrical by testing and removing of redundant old cables where possible. We replaced the feed cable to the kitchen power points due to age of the cable. Rewired lighting in some rooms. Modified lighting to the carport/garage and eaves. Removed old fuses, consolidated circuit breakers into one enclosure and installed an additional RCBO for the new power circuit and replaced faulty breakers and installed new main earth & earth rod. Installed additional power points, switches & dimmers throughout.
We loved doing this job and we were proud of the results.